Simple and quick to make, these oaty bites satisfy any mid afternoon craving for something sweet without you feeling too naughty!
Perfect with a cup of coffee.
Makes 18 Squares
175g Any dried fruit or combination of – such as sultanas, raisins, dates or apricots
5 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp lemon juice
100g plain flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
110g self raising flour
6 tbsp sugar
2 apples cut into small pieces
6 tbsp water
4 tbsp apricot jam
1. Mix the fruit, honey, lemon juice and water in a pan. Heat gently and boil for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Leave to cool.
2. Sieve in the plain flour to the fruit mix a little at a time, ensuring that the mixture still remains moist.
3. Put the self-raising flour in a bowl, mix in the spice, sugar, oats and melted butter until well combined.
4. Spoon half of the oat mixture into a greased 18cm square tin. Press the mixture down with a metal spoon.
5. Spread the fruit mixture over the top and finish with the remaining oaty mixture, pressing evenly over the surface with a spoon.
6. Bake at 190c/375F for 25 mins or until golden brown.
7. Cool in the tin and then cut into 18 squares.
8. Simmer the water and the apples in a pan until the apples turn soft. Add the jam and bring to the boil stirring constantly to thicken.
9. Top each of the squares with the apple and apricot glaze.